Can My Dog Eat M&Ms? The Truth About Chocolate and Dogs

Can My Dog Eat M&Ms? The Truth About Chocolate and Dogs

Last updated on March 20th, 2023 at 08:23 pm

Reading Time: 2 minutes

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you.

Can Dogs Have M&Ms?

Have you ever come to a realization that maybe you left some M&Ms on a table and your dog ate some of them. Although dogs will love to eat your leftover M&Ms, it isn’t safe to let them do so.

DogTV the live 24/7 dog channel from Barkmind

Quick Answer

It’s not recommended for dogs to eat M&Ms as they contain chocolate. A small amount won’t hurt. However, a lot of M&Ms can cause a sore belly and even vomiting and diarrhea.

What Are M&Ms Made Of?

M&Ms are made of two main Ingredients. These include hardened liquid chocolate and a hard candy shell. These two ingredients make up 99% of the chocolates sweet. However, there are other ingredients added to give M&Ms their unique taste and texture.

The main ingredient chocolate is what really devotes M&Ms as edible and safe for dogs. So let’s take a look closer at what it does to dogs when eaten.

Can My Dog Eat M&Ms? The Truth About Chocolate and Dogs

Chocolate IN M&Ms, Is It Safe?

The chocolate in M&Ms can get dogs sick. From vomits, high heart rates, diarrhea, signs of hyperactivity, tremors and seizures. The chocolate in M&Ms are the main reason as to why its best not feed these sugary treats to dogs.

Will One M&M Hurt My Dog?

When it comes to one or two M&Ms, your dog will be just fine — it won’t kill him. If he is diabetic, it could have an effect on his blood sugar levels and make it harder for him to manage his diabetes in general. However, if they’re not one or two M&Ms won’t have a big effect on your dog. Unless he ate a large amount or even pounds of M&Ms not much will happen except a possible sore belly and diarrhea.

Are Peanut M&Ms Safe For Dogs?

Peanut-based snacks are not toxic to dogs, but the chocolate coating surrounding them may be. Unfortunately, the amount of chocolate your dog would have to consume to make them sick with M&Ms is extremely small.

What To Do If My Dog Ate M&Ms?

If you suspect your pet has eaten some M&Ms, don’t panic. A handful of M&Ms won’t hurt a dog. It may cause a severe belly ache. However, if he starts showing signs of severe sickness visit the vet just to make sure everything is okay.

Conclusion – Can Dogs Eat M&Ms

It’s not recommended that you feed your dog M&Ms at all. As mentioned above, chocolate is toxic to dogs. So it’s best to avoid feeding this yummy treat to dogs.

About The Author

I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.


PetFriendly Monthly Pet Care Box
Get 50% off + FREE Shipping on your first box!

Similar Posts