Can Dogs Eat Reese’s Pieces? Here’s What the Experts Say

Yaniv Oxenhandler
Yaniv Oxenhandler
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you. 

Table of Contents

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Can Dogs Have Reese’s Pieces?

Reese’s Pieces have always been one of the most popular Halloween candies – it’s hard to imagine trick-or-treating without them! But can dogs eat Reese’s Pieces? If your dog accidentally eats human food, or you just want to make sure they’re eating the right thing, you need to know what they can and can’t eat. In today’s post , we’re going to take a quick look at the question. Can dogs have Reese’s Pieces? Let’s find out!

Quick Answer

Technically Yes, dogs can eat Reese’s Pieces but it’s not suggested as they are unhealthy and have no benefits.

Let’s Jump In!

List Of Main Toxic Ingredients In Reese’s Pieces

  • Chocolate – Unhealthy for dogs, as many know.
  • Sugar – Extremely bad if eaten too much.
  • Peanut Butter – Dogs love peanut butter but beware of those that contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs.
  • More

Can Dogs Eat Reese’s Pieces?

Although Reeses Pieces contain peanuts, which are toxic to dogs, a small amount is unlikely to cause any harm. Reese’s Pieces are not very nutritious, and although they can be potentially dangerous if consumed in large quantities, they should have no harmful effects when given as a treat. Be aware that chocolate contains methylxanthines (like caffeine), which can be harmful to your dog. However, most chocolate products for humans also contain dairy products, which are also toxic to dogs. As such, it is generally advised that you keep your dog away from all forms of chocolate products.

Is Peanut Butter Safe for Dogs In Reese’s Pieces?

Peanut butter is a tasty snack for humans, but dogs love it as long as it doesn’t contain xylitol it’s technically safe. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener often found in sugar-free products and chewing gum that can be very dangerous to dogs. While there have been reports of xylitol poisoning in pets that consumed peanut butter without xylitol, peanut butter itself is not toxic to dogs. However, it can cause stomach upset if eaten in large quantities or with other foods.

What Happens If My Dog Eats Too Many Reese’s Pieces?

The fat content of peanut butter is high, especially in commercial brands. The fat can lead to diarrhea, vomiting and pancreatitis in dogs that eat too much of it. Furthermore, peanut butter sticks to a dog’s teeth and tongue and may cause irritation if a large amount is eaten.

Can Dogs Eat Reese's Pieces? Here's What the Experts Say

What To Do If My Dog Ate A Bag Full Of Reese’s Pieces?

If your dog ate a large number of Reese’s Pieces, your dog should see his vet as soon as possible to get checked out and make sure he isn’t exhibiting any signs of gastrointestinal distress. When determining what to do if your dog ate a bag full of Reese’s Pieces, consider whether or not he ate them within 15 minutes (or so) of eating some other type of food. If he did, wait three hours before bringing him to a vet.

Conclusion – Can Dogs Eat Reese’s Pieces

Technically yes, but keep in mind it’s not recommended and in moderation. If you think your dog might be at risk for allergies, vomiting or diarrhea after consuming Reese’s Pieces isn’t recommended. 

About The Author

Writer at Power18 | Website

I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.

Yaniv Oxenhandler
Yaniv Oxenhandler
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.

Get Furbulous tips & tricks into your inbox

The Latest