Can Dogs Drink Slurpees? The Surprising Truth!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you.
Can Dogs Drink Slurpees? The Surprising Truth!
Dogs are just as much a fan of sweet, Slurpee-like treats as humans are! There is one difference, however, between people and dogs. Some of these foods are toxic to dogs. We decided to take a deeper look into Slurpees and how they affect dogs.
It is not recommended to give your dog a Slurpee as it contains sugar and citric acid as well as food coloring which is not beneficial in any way for your dog.
What’s in a Slurpee?
Slurpees are a sweet, icy treat made of carbonated soda. Most of them are a mix of two flavors. While slurpees come in many varieties, their main ingredients are:
- Sugar: Most slurpees include a high amount of sugar, which is toxic to dogs and can cause over excessive weight gain.
- Citric Acid: This chemical is used to balance out the flavor. While it’s not toxic to dogs, it can irritate your dog’s tummy and cause vomiting.
- Food Coloring: This chemical is not toxic to dogs — but it can be harmful when consumed too often.
Can Dogs Have Slurpees?
At first glance, Slurpees don’t even seem like they’re edible, let alone drinkable. However, dogs have been known to enjoy Slurpee treats. This doesn’t mean you should offer your dog a Slurpee every now and then, though. In fact, it’s better to avoid Slurpees altogether. While Slurpees are tasty treats for dogs, these drinks are packed with a number of chemicals that can be toxic to your dog. The citric acid found in most Slurpees irritates your dog’s stomach, causing vomiting, gas, and diarrhea. It can also cause kidney failure in extreme cases. On top of that, the high level of sugar in Slurpees can make dogs sick.
This can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. It can even cause pancreatitis in severe cases. If your dog consumes a large amount of sugar, it can experience hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This can cause seizures, lethargy, and even death.
Why Are Slurpees Toxic to Dogs?
Dogs are carnivores. This means that they are designed to eat a high-protein, low-carb diet. They can’t digest grains or sugars, which is why they shouldn’t have these things in their food in the first place. Slurpees, on the other hand, are loaded with sugars and grains. This can be a problem for your dog. Citric acid is a chemical that’s commonly found in fruits and vegetables. While it’s not toxic in small amounts, it can irritate your dog’s stomach when consumed too often. It can cause vomiting, and diarrhea, and can even lead to kidney failure if your dog ingests a lot of it.
Food coloring is another issue with Slurpees. While it’s not toxic in small amounts, your dog shouldn’t have these dyes in their food. Food dyes are not safe for dogs. They can be harmful when consumed too often and can lead to serious health issues, like cancer.
Can Dogs Have Slurpees Occasionally?
As we’ve gone over so far, slurpees are not a good, healthy treat for your dog. However, this doesn’t mean you should never offer your dog a slurpee. If your dog accidentally ingests a small amount of your Slurpee, they’re probably not in any serious danger. If they accidentally drink or consume a lot of it, it may be best to take them to the vet. To make sure they’re alright.
What Should You Give Your Dog Instead of a Slurpee?
If you want to give your dog a sweet, icy treat, try a frozen banana, a frozen apple, or a frozen watermelon. These are safer treats for your dog that are still super tasty, especially during the summer months.
If you’re looking for something to sip on, try giving your dog a safe, homemade bone broth drink. Bone broth is super nutritious and slurpees aren’t, so you’ll be doing your dog a favor. You can also freeze water in a toy, like a Kong, to keep your dog cool and hydrated in warm weather.
As we’ve gone over, slurpees aren’t a good treat for dogs. These drinks are packed with sugar and citric acid, which is toxic to dogs. If your dog accidentally ingests a small amount of food coloring, it may be best to take them to the vet. If they accidentally ingest a large amount of sugar, they could become hypoglycemic. This can lead to seizures and lethargy in extreme cases. If you want to give your dog a sweet treat, try a frozen banana, apple, or watermelon. You can also freeze water in a toy to keep your dog hydrated and cool during warm weather. If you’re looking for something to sip on, try a homemade bone broth drink to keep your dog healthy and happy! Till next time.
About The Author
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.