My Dog Ate a Crayon! Now What?

My Dog Ate a Crayon! Now What?

Last updated on March 20th, 2023 at 08:03 pm

Reading Time: 5 minutes

Dogs and Crayons – Everything you need to know

Did, your dog eat a crayon. Well, you may ask, “Why in the world would he eat a CRAYON out of all things?” Well, if he did what should you do, where should you go from here.

In most cases, your dog eating something he shouldn’t isn’t the end of the world, but it’s always smart to know what you should do next to minimize the damage and get him to safety. Here are some of the first steps you should take if your dog ate a crayon or anything else he shouldn’t have!

Quick Answer

While most crayons are made of wax, not food, they can still upset your dog’s digestive system. The ingredients crayons are made of aren’t toxic to dogs but crayons are still not edible.

What Are Crayons Made Of? Are the Ingredients Safe for Dogs?

Crayons are made with different waxes such as paraffin, and beeswax and are mixed with dry colors such as dye. Some modern crayons use synthetic wax-like materials.

Although waxes and paraffin aren’t particularly toxic to dogs, they can cause bowel obstructions and inflammation. As you might imagine, colored crayons are even more dangerous for your pup. The dyes used in crayons contain chemicals like phthalates, which are also found in glue and plastic bags.

Some waxes can coat your dog’s stomach or intestines if ingested, leading to vomiting and diarrhea. 

My Dog Ate a Crayon! Now What?

Why Do Dogs Like To Eat Crayons?

Dogs can and will eat anything, so it’s important to prevent them from eating foreign objects such as crayons. The most common reason for dogs eating crayons. Is that crayons smell delicious. There are several chemical components in crayons that can be tempting to dogs to eat. Dogs have a huge sense of curiously and are known for it. They’ll try anything even if they don’t know if it can harm them.

Are Crayons Toxic to Dogs?

Like people, dogs vary widely in their sensitivities. But most dog owners can expect some reaction to crayons if only a mild stomachache. The main concern is that some of those waxes and pigments may upset your dog’s digestive system, though a large amount may cause intestinal discomfort.

Crayons aren’t necessarily toxic to dogs. They’re nonedible, but if your dog eats them not much will occur except maybe some bowel movements. Because crayons are made of wax, they aren’t necessarily dangerous for dogs to eat. However, they can cause intestinal blockage in some cases. It’s best not to leave crayons lying around where curious dogs might find them.

My Dog Ate a Crayon What Will Happen?

Before you get too worked up, remember that your dog will probably be fine. However, there is always a chance that he may get an upset tummy, including drooling, vomiting, and possibly diarrhea. If he does vomit or has diarrhea, it’s important to watch him closely so you can monitor his symptoms and give him medical attention if necessary.

My Dog Ate a Crayon! Now What?

Can Dogs Die From Crayons If Eaten?

Crayons aren’t toxic to dogs. Therefor if eaten by a dog only minor issues can occur such as, vomiting and tummy problems. If you’re dog ate crayons you shouldn’t worry at all  as it the chance of it leading to severe sicknesses’ and even death are extremely small.

Signs of Trouble to Watch For If a Dog Ate Crayons

When it comes to dogs and crayons. As mentioned earlier the side effects won’t be as severe as you might have thought. However, it’s best to keep an eye out for symptoms that might come after your dog ate them.

Some of the most common signs can include: (Taken from Rover)

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite and energy
  • Bad gas
  • Lack of bowel movements
  • Chocking

Note: Signs of choking and obstruction can include difficulty breathing, drooling, and vomiting, which requires urgent veterinary attention. If you suspect your dog has an intestinal blockage or has swallowed objects other than crayons, contact your veterinarian immediately.

My Dog Ate a Crayon! Now What?

What To Do If My Dog Ate a Crayon?

While most crayons are made of wax, they can still upset your dog’s digestive system. If you suspect that your dog has eaten some crayons, try to determine how many and what type (wax or oil-based). It’s best to stay calm and not panic as that will only worsen the situation. 

Try to give him/her small amounts of water or ice cubes to drink and monitor for signs of distress such as vomiting or diarrhea even choking. You should also contact your veterinarian as soon as you can if you notice any of the symptoms mentioned earlier just to get their take on the situation. Depending on your dog’s body weight and medical history, additional medical intervention may be necessary.

It’s best to just visit your vet or Animal hospital and not wait.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are Crayola Crayons Poisonous to Dogs?

No, a crayola crayons are non-toxic to dogs. However, like anything else, it could get lodged in the throat and cause problems. If you find your dog swallowing Crayola crayons, it’s better to be safe and take them to the vet if they seem distressed or sick.

Can Eating Crayons Hurt a Dog?

Though eating large amounts of crayons won’t kill your dog, it may cause intestinal discomfort and loose stool. For most small dogs, a few crayons are probably not going to cause any lasting effects.

How Can I Keep My Dog Away From Eating Crayons?

Our best suggestion is to keep your crayons and other art supplies out of reach. Consider using a special box for them, too. You can also try to disguise the crayons as not food, put them in pill bottles or containers with other pills. Label these clearly so your dog doesn’t accidentally eat anything else from the container.

Tip: Make sure they’re off the floor and counters. Anything a dog can reach and sees. Most chances he’ll try to eat it.

My Dog Ate One Crayon What Will Happen?

Nothing, maybe some tummy aches. However, besides that he’ll be just fine and totally normal. There’s nothing to worry about. Except maybe his stool will come out a special color!

Final Words – Dogs and Crayons

Crayons aren’t toxic and won’t cause any serious sicknesses’. If your dog ate crayons, it’s best that you contact your veterinarian or animal hospital and get their take on the situation. So if you’re dog ate a crayon don’t worry, as everything will be just fine!

About The Author

I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.

PetFriendly Monthly Pet Care Box
Get 50% off + FREE Shipping on your first box!

Similar Posts