Last updated on March 22nd, 2023 at 10:16 pmReading Time: 4 minutes
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you.
Can Dogs Eat Smarties?
As pet parents, we may want to spoil our furry friends with some special treats. Now you may be wondering if a dog can eat smarties. Well, yes, dogs can eat smarties however not a lot at all. So without further ado, let’s learn about does smarties bad or healthy for your dog.
Smarties aren’t a health threat or poisonous if your dog eats them in quantities of less than 10 grams. Remember, Smarties contain chocolate which is extremely toxic for dogs. So, too much of this treat can potentially cause chocolate poisoning.
Are Smarties Good Or Bad For Dogs?
Well, smarties contain lots of chocolate. If you give too many smarties to your pet, it can become overweight and suffer health issues. Plus, the digestive system of the dog cannot digest it properly. It can cause gas, restlessness and even diarrhea and vomiting. So, the consumption of too many smarties can damage the teeth and may cause diabetic issues. It is vital to be careful how many smarties dogs can take. We don’t suggest feeding your dog smarties. However, if you do want to still feed him smarties. Ten grams won’t harm him in any way.
Here are the main smarties’ ingredients that make them unfit for dogs:
Sugar – Keep it as advice to not feed dogs with sugar-rich food. Smarties are candies, and everyone loves their sweetness, but remember this sugar may cause many diseases in your furry baby. Diabetes is on the top that links to cardiovascular diseases and obesity. Similarly, the teeth of canines are prone to damage with sweet candies. Sugar also has a bad influence on the digestive system of dogs, and they cannot properly digest smarties.
Chocolate – It is a potentially harmful ingredient found in smarties, and chocolate in any form is bad for dogs. Above all, Theobromine is the main culprit in chocolate that makes chocolaty food or candies harmful to dogs. If your dog eats countless smarties by any chance, he is likely to get sick in no time due to excessive chocolate intake.
Xylitol – Candies are usually made sweet with the artificial sweetening agent xylitol, which is extremely dangerous for dogs. Although it is claimed that smarties are free of xylitol, odds are its minute amount is used to develop the flavor of smarties. So, it is better to be safe and avoid smarties in large amounts.
Does Dog Roger After Eating Smarties?
So, because of the Theo-bromine content, chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Dogs are helpless to digest it well. So, if your dog shows any symptoms after having chocolate, you should monitor them keenly and see a vet right away. Plus, if a dog is very young, pregnant, or has health issues avoid giving chocolate treats without the advice of a vet.
How Many Smarties Can Dogs Eat?
You can not mention an exact number of smarties and say they are safe for dogs. Your dog can feel bad after consuming excessive sugar and chocolate from smarties.
Therefore, you should keep notice and don’t allow your dog to eat more than 10 grams of smarties. You can check this amount on the package and estimate the safe number of smarties.
What Happens if a Dog Eats Smarties?
There are no nutritional values in smarties that can help your dog, and he may experience stomach irritation, indigestion, and other digestive problems.
Similarly, as mentioned earlier, chocolate is not good and, if consumed excessively, causes chocolate poisoning. If your dog silently takes all your smarties and you find an empty packet, your pup may develop chocolate poisoning.
Here are signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs:
- Excessive urination
- Extreme thirst
Some dogs can take hours or sometimes days to show these symptoms. When you come to know that your pet has eaten smarties in large amounts, be observant and notice him. The intensity of symptoms also varies in dogs of different ages. For instance, pups are more sensitive than grown-up dogs, and so is their stomach. Chocolate toxicity will affect pups quickly and severely, but young dogs can digest them with mild or no symptoms.
So, don’t feed anything to your dogs that can harm them. You can offer dog snacks or homemade biscuits for dogs to change your pup’s taste.
What To Do If Your Dog Had a Bunch Of Smarties?
Well, a little bit of chocolate would not harm an average size dog. But, wait, it doesn’t mean that you should make it a habit of giving smarties to your pup. If your dog has eaten a bag of smarties, it is best to induce vomiting through hydrogen peroxide. Or visit, your vet to ensure everything is okay.
Important Indication: 1 tsp. for every 10 lbs. of a dogs’ weight.
On the whole, smarties are not healthy for dogs. However, dogs can have smarties in fewer amounts (up to 10 grams). Dogs can enjoy smarties but, you have to be careful. Too many smarties can cause stomach issues as well as potential chocolate poisoning. the symptoms of chocolate poisoning will include diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, and more. However, Choco treats are not apt for your furry friend. Smarties can harm dogs’ shape if they eat in large quantities. So, try to be careful with feeding your dog gums and smarties.
Chocolate Poisoning Symptoms:
About The Author
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.
PetFriendly Monthly Pet Care Box
Get 50% off + FREE Shipping on your first box!