Everything You Need to Know About Feeding Your Dog Raisin Bran

Yaniv Oxenhandler
Yaniv Oxenhandler
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you.

Table of Contents

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Can Dogs Eat Raisin Bran? 

Raisin bran might seem like an innocent enough breakfast choice, but it can actually cause serious problems if you feed it to your dog. The Bran is safe for dogs, but the raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause serious issues like kidney failure. Researchers and vets are not sure about how much raisins can be safe for pets. Therefore, the best approach is to avoid them entirely. So, if you’re interested to know more about raisin bran and dogs, then read this post till the end.  

No, a dog can’t should  not eat raisin bran cereal

How to Know Your Dog Has Ingested Raisin Bran?  

Although the symptoms of raisins toxicity are not easy to pinpoint but keep an eye on the following symptoms: 

  • Lethargy  
  • Diarrhea  
  • Vomiting 
  • Constipation  
  • Increased thirst 

Sometimes these symptoms can lead to kidney failure as well. Therefore, it’s essential to seek a vet’s help when your dog ingests raisin bran.  

What Is the Toxic Dose of Raisin Bran? 

There is no well-established toxic dose limit of raisin bran for dogs. You just need to keep two things in mind: 

  1. When dogs ingest a large amount of raisin bran, they become poisoned 

  1. Toxicity depends on the sensitivity of dogs 

Some dogs can easily tolerate the small doses without showing any consequences. On the other hand, some dogs become poisoned even after eating a small quantity of raisin bran. So, as mentioned at the start, the best approach is to avoid feeding raisin bran completely.  

Why Are Raisins in Raisin Bran Toxic?  

Unfortunately, we only know that fruits like grapes are toxic for dogs, but we don’t know the exact reason. Some people think that they’re toxic because of the mycotoxin or aspirin-like drug found in grapes. But both these substances can reduce the blood flow to the kidneys.  

Recent studies have shown that toxicity is due to tartaric acid, but there is no clear evidence why fruits are toxic, so the best approach is to limit their exposure to pets.  

Everything You Need to Know About Feeding Your Dog Raisin Bran

What to Do If My Dog Eats Raisin Bran?  

If your dog has ingested raisin bran accidentally, you need to contact your vet immediately. Moreover, you can call on Pet Poison Helpline. Avoid trying any homemade remedies because you don’t know the severity of the problem. You can protect your dog from serious health problems by diagnosing and treating the poison quickly. Moreover, the therapy will be less expensive when it’s diagnosed early.  

How to Treat Raisin Bran Poisoning in Dogs? 

Initially, vets will perform the charcoal treatment to minimize damage to the kidneys. If your pet is urinating properly, then it’s fine. Otherwise, the vet will perform dialysis to remove water and waste from the blood. Moreover, the vet monitors the potassium, sodium, phosphorus, and blood chemistry values for 72 hours.  

Medications can also be used to treat anuric anal failure. But the best way to keep your dog safe from serious issues like kidney failure is to provide monitoring and supportive care.  

Final Words – Can Dogs Eat Raisin Bran?

Can a dog eat raisin bran? No, he can’t. It’s because of the raisin part in the raisin bran. Raisins are toxic for pets, so the best way is to avoid them completely. If your dog accidentally eats raisin bran, keep an eye on the symptoms mentioned above and take quick action. Otherwise, the condition can get worst, and it will be expensive to treat.  

About The Author

I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.

Get Furbulous tips & tricks into your inbox

The Latest