Is Pine-Sol Safe for Pets? Revealed
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you.
Is Pine-Sol Safe for Dogs and Cats?
Everyone wants to keep home as clean as possible and make it dust-free. That’s why the usage of household cleaners is increasing, and there is nothing wrong with them unless you have pets. Many pet parents often wonder if the cleaning products they are using are safe for pets. The most asked question is ‘Is pine-sol safe for pets?’ as it is used to clean floors and can be ingested easily.
No, pine-sol is not safe for cats and dogs. It contains many harmful toxins like pine oil, benzoic acid, etc. If pine-sol is ingested in large amounts, it can cause many difficulties, including lung problems, ears, nose, and eyes infections that need special visits to vets.
However, the worst can be avoided by being careful and avoiding the usage of harmful cleaners. If you want to keep your pets safe and want to know how pine-sol can affect their health and what you can do to prevent it, here you will find everything.
How Is Pine-Sol Harmful to Pets?
Pine-sol contains pine oil, sulphonic acid, benzoic acid, and many other chemicals. These chemicals cause respiratory problems and cancer in humans and can have the same if not worse effect on your pets. The most harmful component in pine-sol is pine oil. If ingested in large amounts, Pine oil can cause pine oil poisoning, which can lead to so many other diseases in your pets. It’s even more harmful to dogs compared to other pets.
Pine Oil Poisoning in Dogs
Pine oil is an extremely toxic material found in most household cleaners. If you’re a dog owner, you might want to remove all the products with pine oil as it can cause serious harm to your pet. Dogs are curious animals, and they will lick about anything without a second thought. If pine oil is ingested or even spilled on the dog’s paws, it will be absorbed by the body right away.
If ingested, pine oil will go into their bloodstream and get absorbed by the liver and kidneys. Ingestion of pine oil can lead to the failure of the kidneys, nervous system, and even respiratory system if inhaled in a large amount. Puppies and dogs with liver problems are especially at risk of getting pine oil poisoning. If not treated immediately, it can be fatal as well.
Symptoms of Pine Oil Poisoning
Pine oil in pine-sol can get into your dog’s system either orally, through the skin, or by inhaling the fumes. All three ways can cause serious harm to your pet. If your dog is showing the following symptoms, you might want to rush to the vet immediately.
If your dog inhaled pine oil and the following symptoms occur, there’s a high chance he has pine oil poisoning.
- Severe respiratory distress,
- Breathing trouble
- Frequent urination
- Collapse or coma
In the case of the last two symptoms, rush your dog to a doctor immediately because collapsing or coma are the most severe symptoms your dog can show before death.
Ears, Eyes, Nose
Following symptoms could occur in the eyes, nose, or ears if pine oil is ingested
- Blinking or squinting eyes
- Lethargy or weakness
- Throat burning
- Difficulty swallowing
- Irritation of the mucous membranes
- Muscle tremors
- Pawing at the mouth or face
Ingesting pine oil is probably the most dangerous case. It directly puts the toxins in the blood, making the absorption process much faster. If your dog ingests pine oil orally, take him to a vet as soon as possible.
The symptoms of oral ingestion are similar to the above-mentioned one except for a few.
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty walking
- Esophageal ulcers
- Pine oil scent on breath, skin, or hair
- Rapid heart rate
- Swallowing difficulty
- Redness or burns on the lips, gums, tongue, or skin
The treatment depends on the type of way the pine oil enters the body. The first 24 hours are crucial as pine oil gets absorbed quickly in the blood. So as soon as you discover that your dog has ingested pine oil, rush to the vet immediately.
- If your dog only inhaled the pine oil, he needs to go through oxygen therapy. A cannula is inserted through the nose that pumps oxygen into the lungs. The dog will be put in an oxygen cave, a sealed acrylic box that gets oxygen pumped into it. Your dog will be kept there overnight while the doctor monitors his vital signs and breathing rate.
- If pine oil is ingested orally, the vet will give your dog an IV and some activated charcoal. Activated charcoal can absorb all the toxic chemicals aiding in cleaning your dog’s system. If necessary, a blood transfusion can also happen, but it depends on the severity of the case.
After bringing your dog home, you should monitor him. Check his vitals and urine output. Call your veterinarian if any of the symptoms reoccur and get him resubmitted.
Is Pine-Sol Harmful For Cats?
We know for sure that pine-sol is extremely dangerous to dogs, but what about cats? Well, it’s not 100% confirmed yet. Some chemicals found in pine-sol can be harmful to cats, but there’s no proper proof as the percentages of chemicals are unknown.
- An experiment was conducted where Methoxyacetic acid, a chemical present in pine-sol was administered to some rats. No prominent symptoms occurred; however, when a higher dose was injected, the rats were found to have decreased body weight and reduced bone marrow. So considering the results, similar conditions can occur in cats as well if ingested in a large amount.
- Glycolic acid, another chemical present in pine-sol, is harmful to cats in high doses. It can cause acidosis, which may lead to the formation of crystals in the kidneys that can cause blockage and cell death.
- D-limonene present in pine-sol is found to be toxic to cats. However, its symptoms are very mild, even at very high concentrations.
Overall, it’s best to be safe than sorry. Avoiding the usage of pine-sol completely is the best you can do for pets. Don’t use pine-sol to clean their bowls; use hot water and dish soap instead. If your cat comes in contact with pine-sol, the best thing you can do is to give her a warm bath and use cat-friendly dish soap.
What Can I Do to Prevent This From Happening?
If you want to avoid something similar or worse from happening to your pets, the best thing you can do is remove all the harmful cleaning products from your house. ‘But how do I know which products are not safe?’ you don’t have to worry! Below is the list of chemicals that you definitely need to remove from your house.
Many cleaning products like floor cleaners, oven cleaners, or drain cleaners contain ammonia. Using products with ammonia around pets is really harmful as ammonia is toxic to pets. If they lick or ingest, it could cause severe skin irritation and burning of the eyes, nose, and throat.
Phthalates are found in most air fresheners, carpet fresheners, etc. They are sometimes labeled as ‘fragrance.’ If a product containing phthalates is sprayed around your pet, the fumes can make your pet sick. So to ensure the safety of your pet, make sure they’re out of the room before you spray and wait about 10 minutes before letting them back in.
- Benzalkonium chloride
Benzalkonium chloride is found in disinfectants. It’s important to use disinfectants in your home to remove viruses, so you can’t completely stop using them. However, if it’s diluted properly according to the instructions, it doesn’t harm your pet. But, high concentrations can cause skin irritation, so be careful.
Pets, especially dogs, are really sensitive to smell. That is why the strong smell of bleach can irritate your dog’s nose, eventually leading to breathing problems. If ingested in large amounts, it can be really harmful due to the presence of chlorine. If bleach must be used somewhere, then it’s recommended to wipe that area multiple times and dry it properly before allowing your pet in the area again.
Chlorine is found in many disinfectants, toilet bowl cleaners, dish cleaners, etc. Chlorine is also used in swimming pools and bleaching coffee filters. Chlorine has proven to be really harmful to pets. If inhaled or ingested, it can cause vomiting, dizziness, and laryngeal edema. So, do not allow your dogs to swim in the pool.
Formaldehyde is mostly found in new home furnishings, household cleaners, and new fabric. Its also used a lot in human soaps and shampoos. Formaldehyde is found to be the cause of cancer in most pets. If inhaled or absorbed through the skin, it can seriously harm your pet leading to vomiting, fainting, and in the worst case, cancer. Avoid bathing your pet with shampoos and soaps made for humans as they may not be pet safe.
Conclusion – Is Pine-Sol Safe for Pets?
There is no doubt that Pine-Sol is not a pet-friendly cleaner and you should be very cautious to use it where pets also live. It’s impossible to stop pets from licking or drinking whatever they want sometimes. Because of that, they can put themselves in danger. To avoid your pets from getting sick by ingesting Pine dangerous chemicals, you can learn about the chemicals that can put your pet in harm’s way. In doing so, you can remove the harmful cleaning products and provide a safe and protective home for your pets.
About The Author
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.