Can Dogs Eat Quesadillas? Here’s the Answer!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy we may make a commission, at no additional charge to you.
Can Dogs Eat Quesadillas
Dogs love cheese. They also love tortillas, and they especially love quesadillas when they’re filled with melted cheddar and a dash of chili powder. Yes, that does sound so good. But can dogs eat quesadillas safely? That depends on what’s in them. While most quesadilla recipes are perfectly safe for dogs, some may not be safe for canines. Read on to learn more about the risks, benefits, and alternatives to feeding your dog quesadillas.
Yes and know. The biggest harm in quesadillas to dogs is the cheese. The melted cheese also known as queso can upset your dog’s stomach. Depending on the recipe used some quesadillas are safe for your dog to eat.
What’s in a Quesadilla?
There are a few ingredients that make up a traditional quesadilla. Let’s take a look at what they are, and whether your dog can eat them safely.
- Tortillas: Plain flour tortillas are unlikely to harm your dog
- Cheese: Cheese is a great source of protein for dogs. It’s also a good source of calcium and other nutrients that help your dog grow strong bones and muscles. However, you don’t want to give your dog any type of cheese that contains a bacteria called Listeria. This bacteria can cause serious illness in dogs, especially small breeds that are more susceptible to it.
- Queso: Queso is a Mexican version of melted cheese. It’s often added to recipes as a thickening agent. But it’s not always safe for dogs. Queso fresco, for example, is a fresh cheese that doesn’t always have preservatives added to help keep it safe for consumption.
Can Dogs Eat Quesadillas?
If you keep all the ingredients above in mind, the answer will be yes. Most quesadilla recipes are safe for dogs to eat. You just need to keep a few things in mind so that you can prevent them from eating too much cheese.
- First, quesadillas are usually made with cheese and/or other dairy products. So, you need to keep your dog from eating too much cheese. If your dog consumes too much fat and/or calories from cheese, it can lead to obesity and other health issues.
- Second, most quesadilla recipes have added fat. So, your dog will get a bit of fat, but not too much. Keep in mind that any fat added to a recipe will make it unsafe for your dog to eat.
So if you have a recipe with little to no cheese and no added salt or fat your dog can actually eat it safely. However, if it’s not the case it’s best for your dog to avoid quesadillas as they can cause an upset stomach.
When Are Quesadillas Not Safe for Dogs?
If your dog eats a lot of quesadillas, they may experience bloating, gas, and/or diarrhea. These are signs that your dog is consuming too much fat, calories, protein, and salt in one sitting. Too much of any of these ingredients can lead to serious health issues. It’s important to reduce or eliminate any foods that cause these side effects. Bloating can be caused by consuming too much fat. Excess fat is stored in the liver and causes the liver to expand. Gas and/or diarrhea may be caused by consuming too many calories and/or protein. Don’t give your dog any more of the ingredients that caused these side effects.
Reasons To Not Give Your Dog Quesadillas
There are several reasons why you shouldn’t give your dog quesadillas. First off, many quesadilla recipes are made with dairy products. Dairy is an ingredient that many dogs may be sensitive to dogs stomach. It may cause allergies, vomiting, diarrhea, or other allergies in some dogs. Even quesadilla ingredients like cheese, sour cream, and queso fresco may cause allergic reactions in some dogs.
Second, most quesadilla recipes are high in fat and salt. Dogs need energy to keep them going and active. They should not be fed fatty and salty food like quesadillas. Fatty foods like quesadillas can lead to weight gain and other health issues and given the added salt it can cause them even more harm.
Alternatives to Quesadillas
Your dog doesn’t need to consume dairy products and quesadillas to get the nutritional benefits. They can easily get the same benefits by eating a variety of meat and veggie dishes. You can mix meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables, and other food ingredients to create a balanced diet. You can also add dry dog food ingredients to encourage your dog to eat more often. This can help prevent your dog from eating too much fat and calories from cheese and other dairy ingredients.
There’s no doubt that dogs love cheese. But, can dogs eat quesadillas safely? The short answer is yes and no. Most quesadilla recipes are safe for dogs to eat. The only thing to watch out for is excess fat and calories from cheese. If you give your dog quesadillas, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, make sure to keep the ingredients list in mind. Second, keep in mind the reasons why you shouldn’t give your dog quesadillas. Finally, remember to feed your dog healthy food that includes a variety of meat and veggie ingredients.
About The Author
I'm a content writer and researcher. But bottom line, I loveee animals. I had my first animal which was a guinea pig at age 8. Later had a bunny, dog and a lot, a lot of fish. Writing about what I know about pets will allow me to share my knowledge and love for them with everyone else. Dealing with dogs my entire life, I know a lot.